We present a non-thermal innovative technology of food processing involving the application of short duration high intensity electric fields (nanoPEF).Benefits of nanoPEF food processing:
- Undamaged nutritious and sensory quality of processed beverages
- Fully electrical powered system.
- Environmental friendly technology; substantial reduction of CO2 equivalent emission.
- Extended shelf life of processed liquids up to 1 month.
- Compact design and easy installation.
- Wide range of machines for any production volume.
- Customized solutions are possible
Nanosecond PEF treatment based on phenomenon known as “electroporation” of cell membranes. As a result, it inactivates different kinds of vegetative spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms without deterioration of proteins, vitamins, antioxidants and pigments. The uniqueness of our idea is the use of nanosecond pulses instead of microsecond ones with much higher electric field intensity.
The main essence of our approach implies in the introduction of the new generator topology which is more practical and cheaper for development compared to any existing models. Our invention goes beyond the present state of art in the pulse generator development on the commercial scale.
High voltage nanosecond pulses are applied to the electrodes which are situated in the treatment chamber. The liquid is pumped through electrode arrangement and exposed to the pulsed electric fields. It results in a safe to drink product after the treatment is completed.